Church of the Nativity interior, c.1918-1940

This is a digital reproduction of a digital image held in the Library of Congress.

The Church of the Nativity is a major religious holy site as it was erected around the birth place of Jesus Christ. The intricate decoration of the interior of the church is evident in the detailed mosaics dating from 1160s and the columns, which carry Crusader paintings of saints and the Virgin Mary. This image is a cropped version of the original at the Library of Congress.

This image exists as part of the Nativity collection within the Library of Congress project of the Planet Bethlehem Archive.