Close up detail of mosaic in the Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem, Palestine, c.1934-1946

This is a digital reproduction of an image held in the Library of Congress.

This photograph shows a close up of mosaic floors inside the Church of the Nativity. The floors were covered over during the Byzantine period and were not discovered until excavations at the Church were carried out by the British government between 1932-1934. That the mosaics are detailed to such a high quality represents the deep religious symbolism contained within the church.

This image exists as part of the Nativity Church collection within the Library of Congress project of the Planet Bethlehem Archive.