Colonnade in the Church of Nativity, Bethlehem, Palestine, c.1898-1946

This is a digital reproduction of an image held at the Library of Congress.

This photograph shows the series of columns in the interior of the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem. Around the nave are twenty-seven columns which display paintings of holy figures, some of which date back to the Crusades. The works are in different styles suggesting that individual artworks were created by different painters. Some of these images date back to the Crusades, however focus on analysing them is a recent phenomenon.

This image exists as part of the Nativity Church collection within the Library of Congress project of the Planet Bethlehem Archive.