Marketplace, Bethlehem, 29/08/1929

This is a digital reproduction of an image held in the Library of Congress.

The image shows the busy marketplace in Manger Square in Bethlehem with the Mosque of Omar visible in the background and the old Ottoman police station (the Saraya) on the right. On Saturdays, Manger Square would be flooded with people from all over the surrounding villages and countryside, come to buy and sell produce. In the late 1920s, the British Mandate regime created the Bethlehem Municipal Market between the Farahiyyeh and Najajreh quarters of Bethlehem, eventually clearing Manger Square of its traditional market.


This image exists as part of the Bethlehem People and Places collection within the Library of Congress project of the Planet Bethlehem Archive.