Wider view of mosaics in Church of Nativity, c.1934-1946
2020-01-30T12:04:52Z (GMT) by
This is a digital reproduction of an image held in the Library of Congress.
This photograph shows a wider area of the mosaic floors inside the Church of the Nativity. The mosaics were covered over during the Byzantine period and were discovered as a result of excavations carried out by the British government between 1932-1934. That the mosaics are detailed to such a high quality represents the deep religious symbolism contained within the church.
This image exists as part of the Nativity Church collection within the Library of Congress project of the Planet Bethlehem Archive.