Close up of mosaic floor in the Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem, Palestine, 1934
figureposted on 30.01.2020, 12:08 by Freja Howat-Maxted, Leila Sansour, Jacob Norris
This is a digital reproduction of an image held in the Library of Congress.
This photograph shows intricate and symbolic mosaic floors inside the Church of the Nativity. The floor was covered over during the Byzantine period and was not discovered until excavations were carried out by the British government between 1932-1934.
This image exists as part of the Nativity Church collection within the Library of Congress project of the Planet Bethlehem Archive.